BSL information (with subtitles)
Voiceover information (with subtitles)
NHS Near Me is a new service from NHS Scotland where you can attend health and social care appointments through a private online video chat.
There are currently many kinds of clinics offering Near Me appointments but not all, so make sure to check with your local health care provider to confirm if they are offering this service.
If you have any questions about this service (including how it works with an interpreter there), you can contact email@example.com and one of our Community Care Assistants can advise you.
What are the benefits of Near Me?
- Reduced travel to appointments: time, cost, convenience
- Reduced time away from work, school or home
- Easier to attend if you usually need someone to take you to appointments
- Enables you to have someone with you for support at your appointment (either with you or joining the consultation by video from another location, even from abroad)
- Better for the environment
- Reduces spread of infectious diseases
How does Near Me work?
- Your health or social care provider will give you a website address for its video clinic. Most services will give you an appointment date and time when you should start your video call.
- Near Me video consulting is not suitable for all consultations, for example, if you need a physical examination or a procedure. Your health or social care provider can advise you on what is appropriate for you.
As with any other appointment, you must first contact your health care provider (GP surgery, clinic etc) and they will arrange for an appointment to be booked.
The service is BSL accessible. When making an appointment, tell them you want a BSL interpreter there.
Near Me has been approved as confidential and safe by the Scottish Government and NHS Scotland. Near Me calls are never recorded and no patient information is stored by the system.
You do not need to download an App or create an account to use Near Me, just follow the website link you are sent with your appointment booking.
Click here to visit the NHS Lothian website for more information about this service. Service also available in other areas – check your local NHS board website for availability.