Help us make a difference!
Deaf Action are looking for experienced professionals to join our Board of Directors. We are looking for motivated individuals who share our values and are enthusiastic about improving the quality and conditions of life for deaf people.
Due to the ageing population it is expected that the number of deaf and hard of hearing people will increase by 78% by 2030, the fastest growing single disability. Deaf Action are building capacity, establishing a firm infrastructure and embarking on a new strategy to make sure the organisation is future ready to meet this increased demand. Wouldn’t you like to be part of this journey?
1. Background to Deaf Action
Deaf Action’s journey began on Leith Street in Edinburgh over 180 years ago. We are proud to have been at the forefront of many major achievements – in fact we were the first formally constituted deaf organisation in the UK. Deaf Action offers a range of services to people in Scotland with sensory support needs, including those who are blind, partially sighted, deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing. Deaf Action is managed by a Board of five Trustees currently, over 50% of the members experience some degree of deafness.
Our Vision, Mission, Values, and Strategic Aims for 2019 to 2024 are as follows:
Vision: “Working together to achieve a sustainable and integrated organisation, delivering an equal and better future for deaf* people
Mission: “Improve the quality and conditions of life for *deaf people”
Values: “Trustworthy, Inclusive, Compassionate, Knowledgeable”
• “Increase access to services and equipment
• Increase *deaf awareness
• Reduce health inequalities; improve physical & mental health
• Improve employability & confidence
• Greater social integration; reduced isolation
• Sustain & develop Deaf Action
In 2018/19 we had an income of £2.3m and expenditure £2.4m therefore a deficit of 104k. We had a net asset of £2.1m.
2. The role of Trustee
As a Board, Trustees are responsible for Deaf Action’s:
• overall governance
• strategic direction
• financial health
• probity of activities
• aims, objectives and goals
As a Trustee, your main tasks will be:
• scrutinise board papers
• lead and participate in discussions
• act as an ambassador for Deaf Action
• contribute and offer your energy and skills towards achieving our strategy
3. Experience and / or qualifications needed
Applications are welcomed from people who have *deaf family members and/or have extended knowledge about *deaf people’s lived experiences. People with a personal experience of hearing loss are especially encouraged to apply.
Additionally, we are looking for people who have knowledge and/or skills in one or more of the following areas:
• Financial management and accountancy
• Operational experience in social care
• Charity governance and management
• Income generation and commercial growth
• Marketing and communications
• Diversity and Inclusion
• Strategic development and planning
The successful will applicant will have:
• a strategic vision
• a desire to use strategic thinking to make a real difference
• independent judgement
• the ability to challenge where needed
• the skills to work effectively as part of a team
4. A Trustee’s commitment is:
• to make the time necessary to read and prepare Board papers before meetings
• to attend the four Trustee meetings per year
• to attend a strategy day each year
• to serve a four-year term (with a maximum of eight years if re-elected)
• spend time between meetings taking part in email discussions
5. Deaf Action offers its Trustees:
• induction and ongoing training in their valued roles
• reimbursement of all reasonable expenses incurred undertaking the Trustee role
6. If you are interested in the role or would like more information:
Rosie Addis, Chair of the Board of Trustees of Deaf Action (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Philip Gerrard, CEO of Deaf Action (email@example.com)
7. Important Dates
18th February 2020: Deadline to send application
*10th March 2020: Information evening for all selected applicants
18th March 2020: Observation of a board meeting by successful candidate(s)
17th June 2020: Board meeting and appointment of successful candidate(s)
Several positions available.
*Information evening now 10th March!