Introduction to Tutoring British Sign Language
Course dates 2018:
Unfortunately due to lack up uptake we are postponing this course for the moment. If you want to be put on the mailing list for information about the next course email firstname.lastname@example.org
The course suits people who have no or have limited BSL tutoring experience and want to develop their tutoring skills.
Introduction to Tutoring British Sign Language (BSL) at SCQF Level 6 will have lots of classroom learning, practical and self-study (with support). It will give you a better understanding and confidence of how to manage and deliver BSL classes.
The award comprises of two units:
- Language and Learning
- Developing BSL Tutoring skills
You have to do both units to get this award at SCQF level 6. (England & Wales NQ level 3, Northern Ireland level 5)
When you finish the course you should have a better understanding of:-
- Issues that influence BSL Learning
- Basic knowledge of BSL linguistics
- Language skills – Receptive and Productive
- Things that can change language selection in BSL tutoring
- Methods for managing an effective learning environment
- How to plan BSL tutoring sessions
- Choose suitable learning resources and design suitable tasks
- Be able to review the planning and delivery of BSL tutoring sessions
This course is a first step for people who want to have a qualification. You should be able to progress to other qualifications like the Professional Development Award (PDA) in British Sign Language Studies in Scotland (England & Wales, N.Ireland)
On the day
Tea/coffee provided but bring your own lunch
What you need to bring
USB stick for homework/videos
How to apply
- Download the application form below, fill in and email to email@example.com or post to Lauren McAnna, Deaf Action, 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
- Record a short clip (5 minutes max) telling us who you are, what experience you have and why you want to do the course. Send this to firstname.lastname@example.org through www.wetransfer.com or upload to YouTube / Vimeo and send us the link.
Application form (not currently available)
Information will be released with application forms for next course. Dates to be confirmed.
- ITA funding. This course has been approved as part of the ITA funding scheme. ITA can give you £200 towards the cost of the course. Click here for more information and to see if you can apply for ITA funding. You must still submit the application form above even if applying for ITA funding.
- Glasgow Society for the Education of the Deaf – Can give £500 towards the cost of a course. Click here for more information and to apply for this grant