Introduction to Tutoring British Sign Language
Course dates 2019 – 2020:
Pending, check back mid-August
If you want to be put on the mailing list for information about the next course email email@example.com
This course is designed for Deaf BSL users. It will be taught in BSL by experienced BSL tutors.
The course suits Deaf people who have no or have limited BSL tutoring experience and want to develop their tutoring skills.
Introduction to Tutoring British Sign Language (BSL) at SCQF Level 6 will have lots of classroom learning, practical and self-study (with support). It will give you a better understanding and confidence of how to manage and deliver BSL classes.
The award comprises of two units:
- Language and Learning
- Developing BSL Tutoring skills
You have to do both units to get this award at SCQF level 6. (England & Wales NQ level 3, Northern Ireland level 5)
When you finish the course you should have a better understanding of:-
- Issues that influence BSL Learning
- Basic knowledge of BSL linguistics
- Language skills – Receptive and Productive
- Things that can change language selection in BSL tutoring
- Methods for managing an effective learning environment
- How to plan BSL tutoring sessions
- Choose suitable learning resources and design suitable tasks
- Be able to review the planning and delivery of BSL tutoring sessions
This course is a first step for people who want to have a qualification. You should be able to progress to other qualifications like the Professional Development Award (PDA) in British Sign Language Studies in Scotland (England & Wales, N.Ireland)
On the day
Tea/coffee provided but bring your own lunch
What you need to bring
USB stick with large memory for homework/videos
How to apply
- Download the application form below, fill in and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Lauren McAnna, Deaf Action, 49 Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
- Record a short clip (5 minutes max) telling us who you are, what experience you have and why you want to do the course. Send this to email@example.com through www.wetransfer.com or upload to YouTube / Vimeo and send us the link.
Application form (not currently available)
Information will be released with application forms for next course. Dates to be confirmed.