- Edinburgh & Lothians
Do you have to ask people to repeat what they say, to turn up the volume on your TV or find it difficult to follow conversations in a group situation?
Whatever your degree of deafness… Whether or not you have hearing aids… Whatever your age… Why not give our lipreading classes a try?
Deaf Action’s lipreading classes:
- are for adults aged 16+ with any degree of hearing loss and who use spoken English to communicate with other people.
- are taught by experienced teachers of lipreading to adults. Our tutors will encourage you to have a laugh and relax can help you rebuild some of the confidence that you may have lost through your deafness.
- provide you with the opportunity for self-help, mutual support and friendship with people who understand your problems.
- help you learn about the different shapes that sounds make on the lips.
- help you learn about which sounds look the same on the lips and how to use context and other clues to help you tell the difference.
- include other communication tactics that can support lipreading and that encourage you to manage your hearing loss more effectively, eg the best place to position yourself in a group.
- offer opportunities to discuss problems and solutions to everyday situations such as having a meal in a restaurant or going to the doctors.
Location: The Christian Centre, Riggs Road, Perth, PH1 1PR
Beginners 10:30-12:30 weekly for 10 weeks from Friday 24th of January
Year 2 13:00-15:00 weekly for 10 weeks from Friday 24th of January
Location: Brooksbank Centre, Pitairlie Road, Dundee, DD4 8DG
Beginners 10:00-12:00 weekly for 10 weeks from Wednesday 22nd of January
Location: St Clair Lounge, Pathhead Parish Church Halls, Harriet Street, Kirkcaldy, KY1 2AG
Year 2 classes – 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm 10 weeks from Friday 17th of January
Year 1 class – 3:30pm – 5:30pm 10 weeks from Friday 17th of January
Location: Deaf Action, Albany Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3QY
Year 1 (term 3) 10:30am – 12:30pm 10 weeks from Monday 13th of January
Year 2 (term 1) 13:15pm to 15:15pm 10 weeks from Monday 13th of February
All classes are currently full however for more information or to be put on the waiting list please contact us on the details below:
Tel: 01382 221 124
Text: 01382 227 052
Fax: 01382 200 025
SMS: 07795 338 231